COMPILED BY Lindi Brownell Meiring IMAGES via restaurantandbardesignawards.com
Including two projects in South Africa, namely Cheetah Plains by ARRCC and Gigi at Gorgeous George Hotel by Tristan Plessis Studio, this year’s Restaurant & Bar Design Awards shortlist features 218 mesmerising spaces in 29 categories, from across the globe.
The virtual awards ceremony will take place via restaurantandbardesignawards.com and Instagram on 15 October 2020.
Here, in no particular order, are 20 stand-out projects from this year’s shortlist.
1. Glorietta – Sydney, Australia (Design: Alexander & CO.)
2. Oxalis at Bohua Plaza – Shanghai, China (Design: Sò Studio)
3. Toplum – Dubai, UAE (Design: XO Atelier)
4. Elixir Bunn Coffee Roasters – Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Design: Azaz Architects)
5. Zhuyeqing Green Tea – Chengdu, China (Design: X+Living)
6. Fabric Sushi – Buenos Aires, Argentina (Design: Eme Carranza Studio)
7. Cheetah Plains – Mpumalanga, South Africa (Design: ARRCC)
8. Endo at Rotunda – London, UK (Design: Kengo Kuma & Associates)
9. La Moitié – Guangzhou, China (Design: One Fine Day)
10. Gigi at Gorgeous George Hotel – Cape Town, South Africa (Design: Tristan Plessis Studio)
11. Veneno at Torre Mil 500 – Guadalajara, Mexico (Design: Pragma Estudio / Monteon Arquitectos Asociados)
12. Kāwi – New York, USA (Design: DesignAgency)
13. Morph – Shenzhen, China (Design: Various Associates)
14. Cantón 23 – La Coruna, Spain (Design: MAS arquitectura)
15. Dandy – Montreal, Canada (Design: BlazysGerard)
16. SANPOU Nishimuraya – Toyooka, Japan (Design: Ryo Matsui Architects)
17. Weeshuys – Geertruidenberg, Netherlands (Design: HUGO)
18. Biggy – Wroclaw, Poland (Design: BUCK.STUDIO)
19. Embers – Taipei, Taiwan (Design: Curvink Architects)
20. miX Dubai by Alain Ducasse at Emerald Palace Kempinski Dubai – Dubai, UAE (Design: Clavel Arquitectos)
View the full shortlist at restaurantandbardesignawards.com. Missed last year’s contenders and winners? Here’s a look at a few of our favourites from the shortlist, as well as those who took home the awards.