The Nando’s Hot Young Designer Talent Search (HYD) plays a key role in this ongoing industry development by functioning as launching pad for fresh young talent. The popular competition, which is facilitated by Clout/SA, has just announced its much-awaited list of 10 finalists for 2022.
This year HYD tasked young designers with conceptualising a condiment unit to display the brand’s acclaimed Peri Peri sauces. The challenge was to do so in such a way that these sauces and their piquant ingredients, which form an intrinsic part of the Nando’s experience, remain visible and accessible to customers throughout their visit.
The finalists were chosen by a prestigious panel of local and global industry judges, including VISI’s editor, Steve Smith. The judging panel included:
- Steve Smith, Editor of VISI Magazine
- Thabisa Mjo of Mash T Design Studio, co-winner of Nando’s Hot Young Designer 2016 and 100% Design Designer of the Year 2022
- Ngaire Blankenberg, Director of the Smithsonian National Museum of African Art
- Karen Brumfield, Head of Buying at @home
- Nokuzola Jenness, Programme Manager of Yellowwoods Ventures Investments and Managing Executive of Clout/SA
- Tracy Lynch, Creative Director of Clout/SA and the Nando’s Design Programme
- Alan Hayward, Director of Always Welcome
- Garreth van Niekerk, Director of Always Welcome
- Rob Enthoven, Nando’s Shareholder
- Stephen du Plessis, Nando’s Group Head of Design and Development
- Michael Spinks, Nando’s Property and Development Director
- Kaira Bertrand, Nando’s Project Manager
- Brad O’Neill, Nando’s Head of Design and Development
- Dale Roberts, Nando’s Group Design Project Manager, UK.
- Scott Hamilton, Nando’s Chief Development Officer, Australia
- Sophie Douglas, Director of Fusion Design and Architecture, UK
- Paul Thrush, Co-Founder and Director of STAC Architecture, UK
The competition received 134 entries from across the country, making the judging process a tough call for the adjudication panel. A shortlist of 20 entries was created from the initial submissions an finally a top 10 was chosen .
The 2022 HYD Top 10:
- Nikhil Tricam and Nindya Bucktowar
- Lindelani Hlophe
- Thabiso Nkonyeni
- Siyanda Magaba
- Daphne Lephoto
- Minenhle Zazi Cira
- Makhi Mtati
- Ryan Pinches
- Mbali Maseko
- Nomonde Dubazane
All top 10 finalists will be invited to a mentorship session hosted by Clout/SA in October 2022. They will then be linked to various mentorship opportunities and could potentially see their design prototyped. The overall winner of the HYD will be announced at the mentorship event which will form part of this year’s Basha Uhuru youth festival at Con Hill.
For more information, visit clout-sadesign.co.za/.