Last year, the Boomslang in Kirstenbosch Gardens won Design Indaba’s Most Beautiful Object in South Africa. The concept behind the project is for South Africans to vote for their favourite object based on their personal definition of beauty.
The 2016 MBOISA nominees have been picked by 10 of Design Indaba’s chosen cultural commentators.
You can vote online for your favourite, or at the following exhibitions: Rosebank Mall in Johannesburg from 12 to 18 January 2016; Gateway Theatre of Shopping in Durban from 26 January to 2 February 2016 and the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town from 8 to 21 February 2016.
Below is a list of the 10 finalists.
1. Dokter and Misses Kassena Town Cabinets, nominated by Sindiso Khumalo
2. Twenty Journey book, nominated by the Design Indaba team
3. Pea Wasabi Mousse by head chef Candice Philips of Saxon Hotel’s Five Hundred Restaurant, nominated by Veejay Archary and Marisa Holley of Black Africa Group
4. Thabo Makhetha’s Kobo collection jacket, nominated by Emilie Gambade, editor-in-chief of ELLE South Africa
5. Harron Gunn-Salie’s exhibition History After Apartheid, nominated by Aaron Kohn, director at the Museum of African Design
6. Alpha Longboards Board by founder Kent Lingeveldt, nominated by Dillion Phiri, founder and creative director of Creative Nestings
7. Meyer von Wielligh’s Umthi Hanging Lamp, nominated by Lindi Ndebele-Koka
8. Maxhosa by Laduma shawl, nominated by Tracy Lynch
9. Bottle2Build modular low cost building material, nominated by Gareth Cliff
10. See-Saw-Do initiative, nominated by Katlego Maboe
Already chosen your favourite? You can vote online here.