After the enormous success of our bumper VISI 100 edition, it feels a little odd to produce our regular-size 192-page magazine again!
But we have enjoyed creating a very inspiring Issue 101 for you to delve into somewhere cosy as the seasons change. Can you believe it’s April already and we’re two months into the Year of the Pig? Before we know it, it will be our Design Issue 2020, full of more amazing talent and surprises. We can’t wait for what’s to come. Enjoy!
– Sumien Brink, Editor-in-Chief
In our world of design and fashion, it pays to have insight into consumer trends. There are people and institutions whose job it is to watch global movements in order to predict future consumer behaviour, and among trend forecasters, Li Edelkoort is one of the most renowned and highly respected. She was in South Africa recently, presenting her vision for 2020 at Design Indaba. Two trends she highlighted were that the bedroom is becoming the lounge, and brown is the new black.
I prefer to avoid the word “trend”. It implies “following”, and I believe in the Individual. Personally, I think we are in limbo. Our world as we know it is changing so fast. Everything around us has peaked or is about to peak, and I am not sure where we are headed. So I would say the time is right to go back to basics.
Let’s start by cleaning out. Get rid of anything you do not use, do not like or cannot sell. Keep only the functional and beautiful.
It is good to clear the canvas and reinvent your personal space from time to time. At the Ambiente trade fair in Frankfurt in February, design studio stilbüro bora.herke.palmisano singled out three lifestyle themes that will enthuse homemakers in 2019:
- Tasteful residence: Perfect craftsmanship with a flawless finish. Rich colours, sensual materials, pure lines and perfect proportions to create a relaxed, timeless elegance.
- Quiet surroundings: Natural, simple and useful products in soft colours. An unpretentious haven for an everyday life free from stress.
- Joy-filled ambience: An unorthodox and diverse collection of botanical, geometric and vintage. Playful, free of convention and full of joie de vivre.
– Annemarie Meintjes, Deputy Editor
Want the print magazine?
Subscribe to VISI now and receive a 25% discount off your one-year print subscription. You’ll pay just R270 for six issues delivered directly to your post box. Use any of these methods to subscribe or renew your existing subscription:
- Call 087 405 2005 (local) or +27 21 045 1809 (international) with your credit card or banking details for debit order arrangements.
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit magsathome.co.za
Want the digital magazine?
If you prefer to read your favourite magazine in digital form, on your iPad, tablet or desktop computer, you can subscribe to the digital edition of VISI via the below websites. It will cost R252 for a one-year subscription – that’s a 30% discount on six issues.