Three lucky VISI readers will win a Wildeberg wine hamper, worth R700 each.
The annual Winemag Prescient results are out and the team at Wildeberg is super excited to confirm another year of multiple winners. Their Coterie range Chenin/Grenache Blanc 2021 and Strange Kompanjie Tea Leaf 2021 (old vine Chenin Blanc, Crouchen Blanc & Grenache Gris) both won Top 10 finishes in the Cape White blend category with scores of 91/100. The Wildeberg Red 2021 (Syrah/Cab Franc) scored 96/100 and placed top 10 in the Shiraz report. These awards are no mean feat considering the exceptional quality of wine currently being produced in both categories.
We chatted to Wildeberg’s award-winning winemaker, JD Rossouw to learn more about Wildeberg wines.
Tell us more about Wildeberg and the team.
“Wildeberg is a wild and beautiful stretch of mountainside and most of our crew have been happily involved since our first vintage in 2018. We are a small team, focused on creating vineyard expressive wines from the best possible fruit we can get and creating a tasting room experience to reflect that philosophy. Staff turnover is low at Wildeberg, as we seek to upskill our employees and provide opportunities for our employees to be excited and successful at what they do.”
What do you love about the Franschhoek region and how does nature impact your winemaking?
Our little corner of Franschhoek is very special. Being tucked away against the mountain leaves us exposed to wind, rain and the constant threat of wild fires in the hotter months and it is exactly this sense of WILD that allows us to create the wine that we do. Our winemaking is subject to what nature provides with harvesting all done by hand and a very gentle crushing and pressing of the fruit. Our ferments are all natural and we use as little brand new wood as possible.
Can you tell us why you love working with Coterie blends?
Falling in love with blends is easy and natural for me as a winemaker, as putting together a blend is much like creating a colourful painting from scratch. Apart from the creator, one very seldom sees the beauty in the product until much closer to the end, as the colours come together and the artists vision becomes more clear. Our ‘Coterie’ range is that selection of creative pieces and very small parcels of fruit from a tiny production pool of vineyards across the Cape, are those colours. Being able to ‘manage’ each component separately, before being able to pick and blend what you feel to be the best combination, is exhilarating.
What is your favourite variety and what is the most unusual variety you’ve worked with?
Chenin and Syrah are my favourite varieties to work with, mostly because of their versatility in the cellar and hardiness out in the vineyards. South Africa has some amazing old vine Chenin Blanc in particular, a small portion of which features in our Wild House Chenin Blanc. Our Terroirs Chenin Blanc and Coterie Chenin Blanc based blend though, along with the Strange Kompanje Tea Leaf are all 100% old vine wines.
What other regions do you source grapes from?
The Polkadraai and Banhoek wards of Stellenbosch, Piekenierskloof, Ceres Plateau, Elgin and voor Paardeberg in the Swartland are some of the amazing vineyard growing areas we source fruit from.
Now that you know a bit more about Wildeberg, the farm would like to give three lucky VISI readers a wine hamper consisting of three of their award-winning wines, namely their Chenin Grenache Blanc 2021 and Tea Leaf 2021 along with their Wildeberg Red 2021.
To enter, make sure you follow Wildeberg on Instagram and fill in the form below:
**Not open to those under the age of 18***
Competition closing date: Thursday August 4th, 2022
VISI Competition Rules:
- The winners will be the first correct entries drawn after the closing date.
- If a selected winner cannot be reached at the contact details supplied, an alternative winner will be selected.
- Prizes will be delivered to the winners.
- The winners are required to accept the prizes as described in the magazine. No correspondence will be entered into relating to the terms on which the prizes are offered.
- Prizes may not be transferred to another person or converted into cash.
- VISI competitions are open to all South African residents. Employees of New Media and the prize-sponsoring companies, their family members, advertising and promotion agencies and any other parties associated with the competition may not enter.
- You must be 18 years or older to enter this competition.
- Neither New Media nor any of its partners can be held responsible for disputes in connection with prizes or for any loss, damage or injury that may be suffered or incurred by prize winners.
- Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and agree to be bound by them when entering VISI competitions.
- Data collected may be shared with the prize-sponsoring companies, but will not be sold or passed on to third parties.
- New Media reserves the right to cancel, modify or amend competitions at any time if deemed necessary.
- Winners will not be eligible for other prizes for six months after winning a competition.
- Winners will be required to provide their ID numbers as per the new Consumer Protection Act guidelines.
- Visit VISI.co.za/terms-and-conditions for more information.